Thursday, July 1, 2010

Peace Out!

The lights are dim, the rope cords that separate the boxing rink from the crowd rock gently to the Rocky theme music, the spotlight shine on the announcer at the center of the mat.

"In this corner......." he annunciates each syllable and draws the crowd in "at 5 feet four inches tall, weighing in at 125 (thanks mom for feeding my "the last supper" for two straight weeks) hailing from Phoenix, Az is the Ukrainian renegade, with the famous sass attack move and nerves of steel made by the hammer and sickle she is packed and ready to jet off, please welcome to the battle field Olleeeeeeeeeeeeeeenka Leeeeeeeneeeeeetsss!"

I smack my gloved hands together and then pump by fists in the air as I approach the announcer, the crowd obviously goes wild. My uniform is a mixture of colors and flags because I don't actually have one country that I am representing, I am a compilation of the many experiences made in several foreign lands. I don't quite have a home.

"In the other corner....." he starts up again, and the crowd is momentarily hushed by his booming voice "at the geographical coordinates of 37 00 N, 127 30 E, a landmass totaling 96,920 sq km (thats slightly larger than Indiana folks) and boasting a population of 48,636,068 thin people please make some noise for the country that has 81% of it's people living in urban areas, an infant mortality rate of 4.24 deaths/1,000 live births and a literacy rate of 97.9%.....here is Soooooooouth Koooooooooreeeeeeeeeeeaa!"

We do a fist bump and then square off in position...let the battle begin.



facts taken from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ks.html

No comments:

Post a Comment