Thursday, June 24, 2010

the EX factor

I was talking to a good friend the other day about how certain cars, because they were driven by our ex-boyfriends/lovers/crushes still stand out in the mind. It is interesting how a car becomes a symbol of our presence in a certain place, or can jolt a memory into our head faster than you can say Honda Civic Hatchback.
The first car that I was obsessively spotting around the high school parking lot was a midnight black soft top Jeep with custom gigantic wheels. If that wasn't enough to solidify it's presence amongst the other cars, it also had a unique and distinctive read view mirror that sported spikes. Yikes. My heart would flutter as I pulled into the parking lot and saw that symbol of the heart throb badass. Another high school crush car that still makes me laugh at my ridiculousness and poor self esteem is a Chevy Blazer. Holy crap, my insecurities got the best of me when the car owner and I decided to trade cars for a day and I was so nervous that I couldn't even get his keys to open the door. Im still surprised my face did not fall off, I was so embarrassed.
With my first boyfriend came the SUBARU experience. I had little knowledge ( and interest) in learning about cars at that time, but by the end of the relationship I could tell you the differences in performance power between the STI and the WRX models. STI being clearly the superior. Driving that car was also a pretty cool experience because those who knew anything about cars and saw me step out of it has a sudden appreciation for "my" car choice.
Since then the parking space outside my home had been filled with a variety of other car brands. The beat up gold Toyota still has a special place in my drive way because of the endless miles it drove back and forth from Tucson and how easy it was to fog up the the windows on a cold November day. After that breakup the sight of that 98 rear end would bring tears to my eyes for months. Also on the honorable mention list, a french car in which we spun around the Arc de Triumph, Maria and I clinging to each other for dear life.
Most recently there was a been a Ford that drew my attention. I dont know the model or year but the out of state license plate and especially the bumpy looking back have now made it possible for me to spot it's sublings without a second thought.
Thank you cars for being random reminders of good times, awkward moments (my fave) and also giving me a heads up so I can duck out of the way if the person who owns the car is someone I do not wish to ever speak to again.
Another topic that I want to write about but do not have the time would have to be an extension of Jessica's post about ex-boyfriends and music. The friends that we attain while being involved with someone sometimes end up being better for us than the relationship itself. :)

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post; I've often thought about cars and how they instantly remind me of people. I can't help but crane my neck at the sight of a familiar car. I wrote a post a while back about specific songs and what memories/eras they represent for me.

    ReplyDelete