Monday, November 29, 2010

I am in love.

I am beginning to realize that I have fallen in love. It is scary. It is somewhat unexpected, yet I cannot deny the feeling of my insides bubbling over with happiness.

The object of my relentless love does not have a name. Actually, there are about 240 names (120 that were given to them at birth and 120 that they picked 4 months ago) that bring me absolute bliss. This overwhelming happiness I have found is with the 6th grade class of BukDaegu Elementary school. This is the most simple, caring and heartwarming relationship I have been in and I am sad that it has to come to an end in 4 short weeks.

Having been a teacher before I know how the game is played. You just cannot help but find a few special students that you click with and then share an extra tight bond with them. The first year of teaching this came in three forms- a set of 8th grade twins from Cuba who I absolutely adored and treated as younger brothers. A 7th grade scrawny little punk who I wanted to adopt and raise "right". The last was a 4th grader who had such an incredibly hard time with anything school related but erupted daily with a bright laugh and a cup-full outlook on life that it was impossible to think a negative thougth about him.

The second year was same same but different, I had strong bonds with a few of my students, and ofcourse I loved them dearly, but the passion wasnt quite as overwhelming as the first year. So now, to my surprise, I have a "first year" romance all over again, and I am quite smitten. The difference in Korea is the quantity of students who I have become close with. The sheer number of warm smiles and hellos I receive in a given day outnumers the good times I had at Bici by a thousand. And the quality is different too. There is more innocence in these kids. There is also a million times more respect and they are grateful for my presence, which makes me work harder to compile educational yet fun lessons. Its really a win-win all around.

Last Wednesday something spectacular happened. My birthday party was attended not only by my brother, who flew from the states to see me, but also 100 of my closest 6th grade buddies. We played games, shouted, ran around, ate lollipops, and took pictures of my brother. The energy in the auditorium was positive beyond my expectations. I could not have been happier or more grateful at that time. Everything I love- brother, students, co-teacher together in one place having fun. It was a thrill for me to watch their faces and hear their excitement as they interacted with Olen. It was like a love potion that kept working it's magic long after we cleaned up the balloons and happy birthday sign, they had all written me small cards and some had brough small trinkets as gifts. Those gestures took the day to another level and I spent an hour in my room reading their notes and sometimes breaking out in laughter though more frequently shedding tears of gratefulness.

The love did not stop there, I met with some of the most amazing people later in the night for delicious soju and then a round of beer. Afterwards, I third wheeled it with my brother and his girlfriend at three daegu favorites- MK Club, G2 and Pasha. In all, my 24th birthday was indeed golden and filled with an incredible amount of love. I am so thankful that I have all the people in my life who made that day so special.

Now back to the love story. I do not think that the special relationship can be completely explained by the fact that the 6th graders and I were born 12 years apart- making us part of the same star sign. But I think the rational of my co-teacher is somewhat valid in the sense that there is a mystical essence about this group that makes the relationship so easy. I also treasure its fragileness because there are few moments in life when you can re-live your first romance and since I am finding that special "first year teacher" love again for the second time I know its true value.

Again, I love love love what I do and I love love love the people who I do it with and that may make me the most love infused person in the world.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment