Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pizza Kimchi mogoyo


Sorry it has been forever and a day.
In the past weeks I have fasted, traveled to Seoul and had a blast, visited 3 ft into North Korea, graduated from my Korean classes with 2 B s and 2 C pluses and co-taught a workshop on behavior management. Those were all very exciting times at Jungwon University, but the talent show which went into the best night of binge drinking seems light years ago in comparison to the 3 days I have spent in my homestay.
Yes, thats right, I live with a Korean family, the dynamics of which are quite adorable yet different from the American lifestyle I have been living thus far.
First off, the mom is an amazingly hard working little woman who loves foreigners but speaks almost no english. We did have a lovely convo (whilst sipping on some beers endorsed by my favorite band- BigBang) using her pocket dictionary and my cell phone. She also took me to Costco where I stupidly spent a fortune and now have to wait a month before i buy anything. :( o well, they family got me a bike yesterday from the dad's office and in the evening we went on our usual walk ( I think they really took to heart what I said about loving exercise because we have not missed a family walk yet) and I raced my two young sisters around the playground. The 8 year old is my window into the world, she lets me know what is happening and her mom is always calling her over to translate. The 3 year old, Kiryang, is a menace and she is always either eating or playing with water and making a mess. I think the terrible twos have developed into terror threes because she runs the house with her screaming and apparently it is ok for her to push me off furniture. She is adorable though so life may give her a pass for her poor attitude. Discipline is the house is nonexistent and the poor mother does clean up a lot of spills and messes that the kids make throughout the day. They are quite happy though and get their fill of anything, be it icecream, fruit, or books. The house has a children's library that bici north should envy and this includes both english and Korean books. You can tell that the parents are dedicated to educating their children and giving them everything. Which brings me to the dad, he is so little and cute. He bows to me in the morning and then thats the majority of interaction that we have for the rest of the day. I hope that I can coax him to learn a little english so that I can at least ask him how his day was and we will not have to play charades with each other for the next year.
There is much more to say and stories to tell, but I time is running out and I need to go to a mountain and meditate with my fam.
Last note, I went to grandma's birthday celebration yesterday and I love love love the grandpa, he speaks english and is so sweet, I cannot wait until the CHusak (Korean THanksgiving) so I can see him again bc the celebration is at his house. <3 br="">
peace out for now lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment