Monday, August 30, 2010

I give too much homework

...and I have a student called Lucifer in my class. Did I mention that she is a girl. TOday was the first day of teaching and it went pretty well. Not incredibly though. I actually had to take away 3 pencil cases and one kid had a talking to by him homeroom teacher for his behavior. The biggest bummer was that my co-teacher said that my lesson was good but they do not understand how I speak and that I gave too much homework. This is frustrating bc I want my students to do well, and I know that what I am doing is supposed to be effective. Especially since they have to get their parents to sign the speaking portion and there will be heavy consequences for those who do not do their work.

I can't help thinking that this is not what the school signed up for. Maybe they do not want a subject teacher but it is enough for me to just look white and say hello and open my exeptionally large eyes. My co-teacher was telling me that I give too much homework and that the students will have to work hard in my class. I sure hope so.

Update: It has been another week and I am so thrilled to report that my classes are mastering their objectives. The lower students of each class are getting more individual attention thanks to differentiated groupings and tailored assgnements based on ability level. Even better is that they are doing their homework. If they do not I visit them at lunch and put the smack down. I have also been going into classrooms and teaching students how to play thumb war and heads up, seven up. I love bonding with my students through games and allowing them to be silly and shout a little. So school has been really great.

Homestay has also been great, I have joined a gym and LOVE LOVE LOVE sitting in a spa pools or going into a sauna room after my workouts. That is all for now. <3 br="">

No comments:

Post a Comment