Friday, May 6, 2011

ROK 2.0

Dear Korea
I may be a little irrational because I didn't sleep last night. The pint of icecream I consumed can only be blamed for part of the reason that I didn't get much rest. What kept me awake was the tinging sensation that pulsed through my body as I tried to comprehend the news--I had just accepted a job offer in Kenya. I know, I know, your little world is spinning right now. What? How? Where did all this come from? And you are right, you deserve an explanation. Here goes... We had been getting along so well, I love and appreciate everything that you have offered me but this new temptress, Nairobi, has me hooked and I cannot deny my lust for her. She seduced me with an opportunity to train teachers and write curriculum, the need for a Masai warrior bodyguard is only an added bonus that heightens the thrill factor for when we get together. I get to help thousands of slum children gain literacy and open their world with the power of education. You know that this is what my wet dreams are made of. So I will leave you in August, with a heavy heart of course but knowing that I have lived to my fullest here and the time is right to move on.
That's not to say that I will not miss you. There will be many mornings where I will yearn for the spicy taste of kimchi on top of my eggs, but it will not be nearly packed away in a giant tupperware in a separate fridge. Nor will there be a tetris game of "where do I put the tupperware" when I attempt to retrieve myself a snack after school. I do solemnly swear that I will continue to use chopsticks when I eat my meals, life is just more fun that way. I will also miss getting things from students with both of their hands extended, even if the object is a pinky nail sized eraser, two hands will be used. I will miss their cheerful hellos and immediate burst of laughter. I will miss the people that Korea has brought into my life that for no reason outside their own kindness have made my time here so pleasant. Oh, and I will miss the bromancing boys holding hands in the halls of guiding each other lovingly out of my classroom. I will probably cry when my catchphrase-"Good Morning Class", does not yield a return of "Good Morning Ms.Lenets" along with a laser beam of smiles that easily eradicates negativity from my body. Oh Korea, you have been a fine mistress. Your bitterness in winter was complimented well by your summertime heats of passion and never again will I see a club full of 20 somethings in stellagmite heels dancing away in near choreographed unison to Panamaricano. You will find a new English teacher to fill the gap that I leave behind, but lets think of this as not a goodbye but a see you later, because destiny-willing I hope to cradle a Korean youngster as part of my own brood someday.
Forever grateful of your boundless love
Olenka
p.s. do you think it's a coincidence that I am moving from one ROK to another? The wise old turtle from the Kungfu Panda movie says "There are no mistakes, there are no coincidences!"

No comments:

Post a Comment