Monday, May 2, 2011

My computer is FIXED!!!

Hooray!
Today really restored my faith in humanity, though living in Korea it is rare that my faith is every dissolved in the first place. My computer was fixed by a kind man who is a friend of my host dad. He tinkered with it for literally 2 minutes before taking out the battery and then replacing it back- the act breathed life into my little computer baby and all was right in the world once again.
That was not the miracle that I was most impressed by however. Upon waking this morning I was informed that today was my host dad's birthday. Sure, a nice heads up would have been nice, but this is Korea so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. Anyhow, he had promised me yesterday that right after school we would go to the repair shop that his friend owns and he could take a look at my computer. I had little faith in this being a fruitful outing but I love my baby computer so any chance of it getting fixed was worth a shot. Now, he did not mention that today was his birthday so I was surprised to learn this fact because he knowingly commit himself to the unpleasant task of taking me to a repair shop on his birthday. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't commit myself to such a mundane experience if the roles were reversed.
When I arrived back that the house, he was already making phone calls and inquiries about where we could go to fix my computer because his friend was busy at the moment. Then he spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the IT lady and translated her questions as a scrunched my face up into a thousand varied but equally unpleasant grumpy faces as I made each response. Then he ran off to a meeting with his sister and allowed me to take over his room and use the computer for the work that I needed to finish as well as responding to my apologies for having to use the computer late into the night with- "That's fine, make yourself at home." At this point, he had already earned his gold star for the day but the kindness kept going as he left his birthday dinner with me in tow to go to the repair shop where he had arranged a special meeting past their working hours. It felt really nice to be treated like a real korean daughter. I had witnessed it from the waygook end in my previous homestay, where the girl's needs ran the show. But to have someone go out of their way to help me, especially on their birthday! That was something extra special and very very kind. I am grateful and will strive to do something equally kind for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment