Sunday, October 24, 2010

Photocontest entry.


I love this picture not for what it looks like but for what it represents. In the image itself you see the majesty of the Haeinsa Temples: intricate carvings, beautiful banners flapping in the wind and a light mist rising over the surrounding mountainside are simply breathtaking and few reminders of the fact that it is 2010 actually exist. The real treat for me however is the monk who is taking, what I am assuming is, his laundry out in a basket. The casual way he goes about his business, a chore of daily living, makes me realize how different and perhaps opposite my interpretation of the temples are in comparison to him. This is his life, his job, his norm and for me it is the first time seeing something so spectacular. While he is simply doing laundry I am busy accumulating pictures and memories to make the most out of the experience. This duel perception can be expanded to my whole experience in Korea. Up until the point of taking this picture I was seeing the world through a tourist lens, almost for the purpose of checking off points of interest on a “must see” list. This made me realize however that this is more than just a photo-opportunity. The real experience of Korea is watching the interactions of the people within their natural environment (no matter how exotic it is for me), in a place they simply call their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment