Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ravioli: My new favorite Breakfast

WELL, I wouldn't say FAVORITE. I wouldn't say healthy, or usual or rational or at all adivsed by any nutritionist. BUT, it is what I eat. I guess I set myself up for it too. When I moved into my second homestay I was able to make more choices about what I consumed. They asked for a list of foods ahead of time and since I was a vegetarian they were really curious to learn about it. We made an initial trip to Costco and I was told to go crazy and pack the cart with everything that I would eat. Ravioli made it into the cart! And it has made it onto my plate ever since. I only made one more trip with my host family to the magical land where foreign food is somewhat accessible and since I picked out Ravioli the second time as well it pretty much solidified it as a staple food in my Korean diet.

At first, I cooked the ravioli because my host mom was unfamiliar with how to make it but she watched and took diligent notes and was soon whipping them out like a pro. It tastes really good and so I enthusiastically praised her cooking and how delicious they turned out. THAT is probably how the ravioli is endind up on my breakfast plate. First, she cooked it every night of the week and I was eating at home...resulting in me going out more frequently because even though I do love the taste of ravioli, I do not love it every day of the week. Then, it seems like there was a lot of ravioli and only a few times that I was available to eat it for dinner...so it moved on to being an afterschool snack. THEN, the day finally came when it appeared at the breakfast table. Luckily, that is also the time that the giant bag from costco was exhausted and now I was back to a variety of food for breakfast (and dinner).

The phenomenon of my dear host mother giving the in access what I say that I like is also evident in her keeping a stock of roasted almonds on hand! (which is great because I can eat them whenever I want) and the also a pancake like sweet treat that has melted sugar and crushed peanuts on the inside (tastes AWESOME). I had one for snack, praised it, and then eat it for two consecutive days for afterschool snack and breakfast. :) The thing about living with a host family is that even though there are certain things that get to be pretty comfortable (seeing host family memebers in their underwear) telling them you would like to eat something else is not on the table. (get it?) So for the next 4 days (because I know we have a fresh batch of ravioli) I am undoing another button on my pants and consuming ravioli as breakfast, snack and possibly even dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment